9.20.2006

so.

Several years ago i released a CD entitled "Time Well Spent". It isn't a bad little disc, but after a few months i grew really tired of it. Then i didn't feel like selling it anymore, though many people continued to inquire after it.

So, I've been working on a new album. It's actually been a difficult project for me so far. My desire is for the album to capture a true "image" of my music--Just me and a guitar, no nonsense. But I want to maintain authenticity without sacrificing quality. Rough edges have the potential to enhance the final product, but only if the roughness serves the music. I lean toward demanding perfection of myself. I am trying to figure out the line between a gritty feel and blatant "mistakes." Eliminating every single missed guitar note would make the album feel a little too clean, a little too polished...basically just not what i actually sound like in a performance. it would lose the very quality i am seeking to achieve.

Patty Griffin's "Living With Ghosts" is one of my favorite CDs. Somewhere along the line, i decided that i would aspire to make my next recording as personal and intimate as hers is. "Living With Ghosts", dispite all of its slight imperfections, is (in my opinion) a bravely perfect album.

keep on the watch. i've got about 9 tracks down so far. not sure how long it will take, but it's comin' along.

1 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Jersey said...

wonderful. i cannot wait to hear it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home